Another Splendid Day!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We did a little schooling in the morning and then got three people through the shower.  One out of three of us got a warm shower and I’m glad that I was the one!  I was desperate enough to make a cold one work just to get clean, but the water happened to get warm again about half way through my turn.  The hot water situation in our building is very wacky and rather unpredictable.  We have figured out that there seems to be reliable hot water in the morning and in the evening, but most of the time during the day we cannot get hot water.  But sometimes we can – go figure!

We got a late start heading out to the orphanage, but it turned out just fine.  It was an absolutely gorgeous spring day in Novosilky today!  Most of the kids were outside playing for a long time and it was great to interact with other kids in addition to our own.  So many sweet faces who need love and attention.  It was a blessing to have brief conversations with many of them today.  I finally had my camera handy and took lots of pictures.  Several of my faithful readers have been asking for more pics, and with the busyness of everything it’s hard to photograph the events and participate in them.  But I took a lot of pictures today and want to share them with you.

Bruce, Brian, and Ilya played frisbee for quite a while today and it was fun to see them interacting as brothers, sons, and a father of two boys.  Bruce pulled something in his knee and is hobbling around a bit now, but I think I can safely say for him that it was worth it.  Other various kids popped in and out of the frisbee game and we tried to be inclusive with kids who needed an invitation to join them.  There’s nothing like the feeling of being noticed and included.

We also enjoyed hanging out and laughing with the Moore family and interacting and talking with them a lot.  For those of you reading who are coming soon to Ukraine to follow in our footsteps, you will be so blessed by connecting with the other families who are here at the same time as you.  It is such a blessing to have friendships while you are moving through your adoption process.  We are very grateful for God’s provision in this.

Later, we decided to take a break and have some tea and cookies.  Ilya admitted that he was depleted from all the very active play.  We went inside to the playroom next to the dining hall and our new son proudly served his family and his best friend, Sasha, chai.  It was a very special time for all of us.  We look forward to incorporating chai time into the Boehrs family traditions.  I can envision all the kids coming together at the end of the school day to enjoy tea time together.  Sasha is missing his new parents as they have returned to the U.S. during the 10-day waiting period.  We were happy to include him in our family while they are away.  Our tea time happened very late, so it was about 6:45 (!) by the time we had everything cleaned up.

We left the orphanage very late at almost 7:00, had to stop by the market to grab a few things, and then we headed to the bus stop.  We weren’t sure what the buses do at that time of day since we usually leave late afternoon.  We let one bus go by that would have taken us to the metro, but it would have been a longer bus ride because it wouldn’t have dropped us off at the closest metro stop (we think).  Well, it was a long wait before our regular bus came and it was PACKED.  It was our most miserable bus ride so far.  Live and learn they say.  In hindsight, we’re pretty sure the first bus was the best option and we passed it up thinking there might be something better.  We have found that the evening bus-riders are much zestier than the day crowd, and the typical riding in mostly silence is not true on a Friday night!

We certainly don’t “fit in” with the daytime metro crowd, but there were no other children on the metro at all this late in the evening.  We finally arrived at our station, surfaced to street level and walked home in the dark – and crossed our busy street back to our apartment!  We arrived home safely at about 8:30 with 4 tired kids.


7 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Dave Ritzman
    Apr 17, 2011 @ 20:40:43

    Great pictures! Please tell Sasha we saw his picture, love him and miss him. Give him a big hug and kiss for us.

    We stayed in Amsterdam last night at an airport hotel. Then, flew out this morning for 9 hours to arrive in MSP at 12:30 pm. It’s 4:30 am in Ukraine. We’re toast and ready for bed.

    We had a steady steram of family and friends welcome us home and bring meals. It was good to share more about our life in Ukraine as well as adoption process.

    We miss you all and continue topray for you.


    • motorcyclemama5
      Apr 18, 2011 @ 16:17:35

      I delivered your message to Sasha (Jason – we used his new name a lot today) and gave him a big hug and kiss on your behalf. He understood. I can tell that he misses you very much, but he seems to be doing okay. He is literally counting the days until Jeanne’s return. Please tell Jeanne that he has been very respectful of allowing Ilya to spend time with his family, but we have been inviting him to join us because we want him too! So it’s been great. I just knew it would do her mama’s heart good to know that he was following what she had asked of him. He’s been great and our kids love him like family too! Tell Lucas we miss him! : )


  2. Karla
    Apr 17, 2011 @ 20:51:32

    Thank you for posting pictures of K. We sure miss him and it is always fun to see current pictures of him. Feel free to give him a hug for us any chance you get. Praying the adoption process continues to go smoothly for you. Hearing about your experiences is helping us prepare for our trip! Karla


    • motorcyclemama5
      Apr 18, 2011 @ 16:27:37

      Hi Karla,

      Glad you enjoyed the pics of Kirill. : ) I ran into him in the stairwell today and told him I had a message from his mama and it included a hug. He happily received your hug for him through me and gave me a big squeeze right back. : ) He’s so cute and sweet.



  3. The McEacherns
    Apr 18, 2011 @ 06:11:47

    Great pics! We got to play outside today, too, which is a nice change, huh?


  4. Dave Ritzman
    Apr 18, 2011 @ 10:13:38

    Hey Bruce and Jill…as far as Amsterdam Hotel. Ask them for their assigned Shuttle pick up number at the airport. For instance, we stayed at the Dorint Hotel (highly recommend & good price…ask for roll-a-way bed in advance) and we discover on the curbside for the shuttle bus their assigned number was 9-13 (a specific location along the shuttle bus lane). It took me a while to get this. Also, ask the hotel “when on the hour” they come by.

    Sorry for TMI here but a few lessons learned that could save time.


    • motorcyclemama5
      Apr 18, 2011 @ 16:36:38

      Thanks for the info, Dave! We checked your hotel out, but it was outrageously priced for 6 of us. We ended up booking at the IBIS which we stayed at 9 years ago when we went to Germany. The price was reasonable, but we had to book two rooms! They had nothing to accomodate (or allow by fire code) 6 people. : ( Where is Comfort Suites when you need them?! : / So the girls and I are bunking in the bigger room and B & B are bunking in the other one. Too weird… They did give us instructions on how to catch the shuttle in a confirmation email. But we so appreciate your sweet concern for us and quick willingness to be helpful. : )


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: