Mid-Week Update in the Last Week

In keeping with my football-themed blog postings, it’s time for a halftime update. For all you sports fans and those playing along at home, we’ve had a couple of fumbles and sacks, but the chains have been moving forward. We’re not in the Red Zone yet, but we’re close. Honey, do you regret giving me your username and password yet?

Monday began on plan. The Ritzman family segment and the Boehrs family segment took the Metro Blue Line to the Minska stop again for fun at DreamTown. The ironic thing about it is that it wasn’t as fun this time. I am not sure if the luster had worn off and the novelty was non-existent, or if it was Nathan’s injury in the Rollerdrome. We started at the RollerBlade place again and Nathan and Jason started circling the floor with fewer people to contend with. After about a half hour, the two of them became entangled either before or during the crash (I didn’t see the entire incident for certain), but definitely after. Poor Nathan’s head at the left temple either hit the floor or a skate, I’m not certain which. In any case, he didn’t spring back up quickly. In fact, he didn’t get up at all, but he was moving. I went on the floor to find the eggs on the side of his head that were growing. While trying to think of what to do next, a very nice woman skater with impeccable English skills stopped to help. She told me that a doctor (not sure of the complete credentials, but wasn’t concerned) was on site and could help. I didn’t think the injuries rose to the level of needing physician’s care, but  while I was pondering that, he came over. He was very nice and thorough. He asked Nathan to put his feet together and touch the tip of his nose, and looked into his eyes. He also pressed around the injury site to make sure no bone was mobile. He said (through our nice emergency interpreter) all it needed was some ice to help with the swelling. That is what I came to in my own head, so we moved over to a bench. Minutes later, he showed up with a 3M re-useable ice pack that looked like it had been used 300 times. It did the trick. He was still a bit stunned, but he hit the floor again. After that we did bumper cars (no ill effects from the injury), fighter plane virtual simulator, lunch, and ice skating again. We finished the day at Solo Pizza with the Ritzmans’ and the Moore family segment.

I would like to thank all the prayer warriors out there for the prayer support. It’s not an issue I want to dive into publicly, but we had a rough  evening and night. It continued until about mid-day the next day. Nathan needs your prayers and ours to overcome certain things in his life. He is a wounded boy and needs prayer and support in the years ahead. Thank you for all your support.

Tuesday’s adoption activities consisted entirely of getting the Ukrainian passport in the afternoon. This was a trip back over the river to the city passport office. Score! It is a full-blown immigration (from our standpoint) passport. The light-blue document is technically only a “travel document of a child” and that’s all. And the cool thing is that the passport is valid for 10 years, which is well beyond his 18th birthday and decision day for his citizenship. To finish things off, the segmented families of Boehrs, Ritzman, and Landry went to the Home Cooking place and feasted. Afterwards, we took a meandering walk back to the apartments through the Golden Gate and St. Sofia’s Church.

So, Monday was per plan except for the injury and no gifts. Gifts are easy, and may be moved to Thursday or Friday. Tuesday didn’t yield the required medical exam. Keep reading…

After a couple of off-hours form-filling sessions, Nathan and I were ready to go to the embassy. However, we instead went to US Consulate Services, which is in a different place. Per our facilitator’s instructions, we rode either the number 16 or 18 trolley bus (important distinction between the trolley bus and the regular bus I later learned) out of Independence Square six stops  to the Poltavska stop. You  can’t yell out “ostanok” like you can on the small regular buses to stop. The trolley buses are set up like the Metro – they have defined stops. So six stops later and a half-block walk and we were there. However, so were about 200 other people milling around in front. While Jeanne and I were wondering what to do, a Ukrainian policeman asked us what we needed. Well, we’re here for a 10am appointment concerning adoption. Right this way! No kidding, we were given rock-star treatment as in front of the line. A quick pass through security with a metal detector and a wand, and we’re in. We submit our documents at one window, drop $404 at another window (I didn’t bring any small American bills with me so I cleaned out the change and of course the cashier grumbled), and have a quick review at the first window again, and we’re set. I get a list of things to bring tomorrow including some copies of key documents (which I didn’t get an opportunity to get) and the medical report.

After that, a quick call to the facilitator gets our medical exam moved from Thursday to Wednesday. I’d rather have the tough day today, and it indeed worked out better. So, we meet the orphanage driver at the Vasilkivska Metro stop and drove to the examination place. Lots of movement in and out of cubby offices again, but I was present for the medical exam. Clean bill of health! A few necessary copies and ice cream completed our mandatory Wednesday activities!

So, compared with the plan, we’re back on track. We have our final visa interview and appointment tomorrow at 2pm and we get the magic visa sticker in the Ukrainian passport, and we’re done!

Friday is going to be a slow day hopefully. We are planning to head back to the orphanage one last time for the final good-bye. There could be a mini-party depending upon the availability of goodies at Bumi Market, but the social part is what Nathan cares about anyway. I would appreciate your prayers on Friday as well, because there is another issue coming up on Friday that I don’t want to share publicly either, but it is unrelated to orphanage life or leaving it. Just know that your prayers would be appreciated.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


5 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. David S.
    May 18, 2011 @ 19:52:56

    “I hope he’s not disappointed with our Honda Accord.” lol! Love it!


    • Bruce in Ukraine
      May 18, 2011 @ 23:33:00

      After I clicked the “publish” button, I had a thought that I had used that line or one like it before on another picture caption. I have discovered within my marriage I reuse a bit of humor material to the point that my beloved does not laugh because it is so worn out. At that point, I respond with, “I suppose I need better writers,” which also doesn’t get the laugh either, by the way…


  2. Sue
    May 18, 2011 @ 19:56:24

    Thanks for the update! Praying from Fargo!!


  3. Dave
    May 18, 2011 @ 21:12:53

    We’re prayin’ you all in to MSP, baby! …as well as the other issue. See you all Saturday! Can’t wait. PTL!


    • Bruce in Ukraine
      May 18, 2011 @ 23:28:42

      Thank you Dave! Jill and I have truly felt the prayer cover from you and all our supporters. We’ve learned that this is not possible without it! I am excited to be able to say now that I am coming home “day after tomorrow!” And, that is truly all the way to MSP baby!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: